Below is a copy of the ordinance establishing the Celebration Committee. This outlines the purpose, responsibilities, term lengths, and appointment process.
AN ORDINANCE TO CREATE THE CITY OF DORAVILLE CELEBRATION COMMITTEE. THE CITY OF DORAVILLE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL SEEK TO CREATE THIS COMMITTEE TO HELP PLAN THE CELEBRATION OF SELECT CITY WIDE EVENTS.
WHEREAS, the City of Doraville, Georgia (herein after the "City"), Mayor and Council, is committed to promoting community, good will, and the general welfare of its citizens; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and City Council desire to create a City of Doraville Celebration Committee; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Council wish to provide a method for the community to give feedback and direction to the Mayor and Council on potential events related to city events which could be implemented by the City; and
WHEREAS, the City of Doraville is committed to celebrating the vast cultural diversity of the city; and
NOW, THEREFORE, the Mayor and City Council of the City of Doraville, Georgia, hereby Ordains as follows:
There is hereby created for the City of Doraville a City of Doraville Celebration composed of up to eight (8) members with a variety of perspectives, experience and interests:
- All members shall be residents of the City or owners of a business with a physical location in the City of Doraville.
- One member is reserved for the City's Program Coordinator.
- At its discretion, the Committee may include an additional nonvoting youth representative attending school and or college in the City of Doraville.
- Voting members of the Celebration Committee shall be appointed by the Mayor upon recommendations submitted by members of the City Council (including the Mayor) and approved by majority of the City Council.
- Terms of the Celebration Committee shall be for thirteen (13) months from December through December the following year.
- Celebration Committee members may not serve more than two (2) consecutive thirteen (13) month terms.
- Celebration Committee members who are no longer qualified to serve as same pursuant to this section may finish their current term but may not be reappointed for a future term unless they fit the proper qualifications established herein.
- The Celebration Committee shall meet at least one (1) time per month and shall establish such Regular and Special Called meetings as necessary to execute its authority and responsibility under this Chapter.
- The Celebration Committee shall be chaired by the Director of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs and establish such by-laws and rules and regulations as it deems necessary for the discharge of its authority and responsibility.
The Celebration Committee shall have the following authority and responsibility:
- Develop a schedule of City- wide events throughout the term of service.
- Plan, promote, execute, and attend scheduled events.
- Coordinate with vendors, sponsors, volunteers and businesses for events.
- Stay within allocated budget, as determined by annual budget.
- Prepare an annual report to Council.
- Set a theme for year's Committee.
- Confirm appointments to the Celebration Committee.
- Give guidance and suggestions on specific events or items.