Doraville Solar Statement
Map of Solar in Doraville
On November 17, 2021, Doraville adopted an ordinance allowing rooftop solar panels by right in all zoning districts. The intent of this ordinance is to promote sustainable energy, make it easier to install solar, define types of solar installation, and provide a permitting process for solar in Doraville.
Doraville is partnering with SolSmart to attain bronze designation.
State Law on Solar
In 2015, the Georgia State Legislature passed Georgia House Bill 57, the Solar Power Free-Market Financing Act of 2015, in order to promote the use of solar energy. The state of Georgia also regulates solar easements in Title 44, Chapter 9, Article 2 of the 2010 Georgia Code.
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) System Permitting Checklist
The pre-submittal checklist below contains the minimum information and project plan details required to be submitted to City of Doraville when applying for a permit to install a residential rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) system. The intent of using the checklist is to provide transparent and well-defined information to minimize the number of required revisions, improve permit application quality, and accelerate the application and review process.
Codes and Design Criteria
Doraville has adopted the following codes:
2018 International Building Code with Georgia Amendments
2018 International Residential Code with Georgia Amendments
2018 International Fire Code
2020 National Electrical Code with Georgia Amendments
2015 International Energy Conservation Code with Georgia Amendments
The following local design criteria should be used:
- A rooftop system may not exceed six (6) feet of the applicable zoning district’s height restrictions for roof-mounted mechanical devices or equipment
- A rooftop system mounted on a sloped roof shall not vertically exceed the highest point of the roof to which it is attached.
- A rooftop system shall be installed with a setback of at least 3’ from the roof edge for fire safety purposes.
A permit must be obtained prior to the start of any work. Complete the following permit application form and submit any additional required documents.
Additional Required Documents
- Site plan showing the location and quantity of major components on the property. The site plan drawing need not be exactly to scale, but it should represent relative location of components at site.
- Electrical one-line diagram showing PV system configuration, wiring system, overcurrent protection, inverter, disconnects, required signs, and AC connection to the building.
- Equipment list with make and model.
- Specification sheets and installation manuals (if available) for all manufactured components including, but no limited to, PV modules, inverter(s), combiner box, disconnects, and mounting system.
- Letter from structural engineer confirming the roof can carry the required load
- Georgia State Contractor License
- Contractor Business License
- Arborist Photovoltaic Tree Affidavit
- Property Owner Authorization Affidavit
- Authorized Permit Agent Form
$100 Electrical Trade Permit Fee
$50 administrative fee
Complete fee information can be found in the fee schedule.
Submit Permit Application
Permits should be submitted online through the Permit Portal.
Review Process Timeline
City of Doraville is committed to providing a timely review of solar PV permit applications. Best efforts are made to review completed solar permit applications within 10 business days. These turnaround times are typical, not guaranteed. City of Doraville has a staff of dedicated individuals, but workloads, vacations, and sick leave can cause unforeseen delays that may impact turnaround time.
Certain circumstances can prolong the permit turnaround time including:
- Applicant does not submit all required information
- Contractor applying for permit is not a licensed contractor
- Engineer’s letter is not included
- Equipment is not listed
To check your permit status please enter your existing permit number on the Existing Permits portal.
All permits expire six (6) months after date of issue. Failure to start the work authorized by a permit within this six-month period renders the permit invalid and a new permit must be obtained. Once work begins, noticeable progress must continue until completion. All work must be complete within eighteen (18) months of a permit issue date.
Scheduling an Inspection and the Inspection Process
To schedule an inspection please enter your existing permit number on the Existing Permits portal and use the “Request an Inspection” feature. Inspections can be scheduled for as soon as the next business day. Inspections are conducted from 8am to 5pm. A specific time cannot be scheduled. For more on inspections, visit our Inspections page.
Solar PV systems require one inspection by the Chief Building Official.
If you have any questions, please contact us at:
City of Doraville Permits Department
(770) 451-8745 Extension 205
Doraville City Hall
3725 Park Avenue
Doraville, GA 30340
Hours of Operation
8:30am to 4:30pm